Nail Art to Put You in an Empire State of Mind
The Brits know how to draw a crowd…even in New York City. One way to catch everyone’s attention amid the hustle and bustle is to stage the party of the season at one of Manhattan’s busiest transit centers: Grand Central. Add Cara Delevingne and Beyoncé to your guest list and you’ve got yourself a celebration that can’t be ignored. And in lieu of a regular ribbon-cutting, you continue the festivities at your new flagship store on Fifth Avenue. Let’s just say Topshop wasn’t messing around this week. The brand even enticed the beauty addicts by installing a pop-up nail bar (open through Saturday, November 8 from 12 to 8 p.m.) with custom NYC-themed designs by polish pro Madeline Poole. For those who would rather DIY than go up against the masses for a manicure, we asked the nail wizard how to whip up these looks in a New York minute.
THE CITY SWOOP
The Inspiration: “Every other nail uses a traditional autumn/winter palette, but I wanted an option that was lighter, icy, and more subtle,” said Poole.
1. Paint one or two layers of nude, depending on your preference.
2. Select two pastel shades to create the tip. Then test the polish’s opacity by painting a swatch on paper—you should always end with the most opaque color.
3. With your first pastel, paint a swoop from the outer edge of the nail about a third down the side. Curve the brush toward the top inner corner of the tip to create an arch.
4. Repeat this step but start a few millimeters closer to the tip, leaving a sliver of the other color showing.
5. After nails have dried about three to five minutes, you can add a quick-dry top coat.
THE TIMES SQUARE TIP
The Inspiration: This look is meant to capture the city lights at night in NYC with electric purple and blue glitter.
1. Paint your nails with two coats of a dark color like black, navy, or deep burgundy.
2. Apply one coat of glitter (or glitter polish). You can move and spread out the glitter with the brush to evenly disperse it.
3. Finish with quick-dry top coat.
THE CENTRAL PARK PAINT JOB
The Inspiration: “The orange chevron tip was inspired by fall leaves.”
1. This look is on a clear nail, but Poole says you can also choose a pale base color if you prefer.
2. To create the tip, use a highly opaque orange lacquer and a detail brush. Paint a tiny dot in the center of the nail. Pull down diagonally on each side to create the inner point.
3. Starting at the edges of the nail a bit closer to the free edge, pull diagonal lines toward the center.
4. Once you’ve created the outline, fill in the remaining area with color. Repeat this process with a second coat to ensure it covers, and top it off with clear polish.
THE MADISON AVENUE MOON
The Inspiration: “This is the most festive look, with classic burgundy and a high-shine gold glitter moon.”
1. Paint your nails white.
2. Next, add the small moon with glitter. You can use either a glitter striper brush or a detail brush dipped in gold glitter polish. This moon is meant to be quite small.
3. With burgundy polish, dab a tiny dot onto the center of the nail where you want the triangular point to meet.
4. From the outer edges of the nail, paint diagonal strokes toward the dot and fill in the rest of the nail. Finish with top coat.
THE FIFTH AVE. FIVE
The Inspiration: “With the store opening on Fifth Avenue, this nail look is the mascot.”
1. Paint nails gold.
2. Poole used water transfer stickers, but she says you can create the number using a black striping brush or pen. She begins with the top straight edge of the five, then the side straight edge, and finally the round shape at the bottom that should be the same width as the top line.
3. After nails have dried, add a quick-dry top coat.
Read More >>
Rihanna, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Alessandra Ambrosio keep it sultry and simple for AmfAR. Before hitting the AmfAR gala last night in L.A., Gwyneth Paltrow posted a pic to Instagram (with a caption that read, “I don’t pop [pills] I rock Tom Ford”) that showed off her center-parted pony and black TF tux that boasted a […]
Read More >>
Fishing Hot Spots Pro USA Digital Map and Fishing Chip provides unmatched detail for your bow-mounted chartplotter or handheld GPS unit. This video is a overview of what to expect from the electronic maps that are on this chip
Read More >>
Remy Drabkin grew where new winemakers were developing the nascent Oregon wine industry. She knew too she would one day become a young Oregon winemaker.
Read More >>
Make your next outdoor hiking or camping experience a success by knowing what to bring. Throughout Oregon and Washington, the BLM has hundreds of campsites, hiking trails, fishing holes, lakes and rivers for boating, and land for hunting. Regardless of your recreational interests, the BLM wants you to be safe and know the 10 essentials. […]
Read More >>
Learn how to apply jazz guitar theory to spice up your country lead guitar playing in this video .
Read More >>
Budgeting in general can be tough. There are your regular, non-negotiable expenses like food and shelter, plus your important add-ons, like retirement savings or paying off those college loans. And while it can feel like there is no wiggle room in your budget to save more, here are my tips on scrimping those pennies and […]
Learn how to make chocolate doughnuts at home with this easy Recipes for doughnuts. Made with a tasty malt dusting, these doughnuts also come with a naughty chocolate ganache filling as an alternative of the standard jam. You’ll need fresh yeast for this recipe, which you can purchase from the baking section of most supermarkets. […]Read More >>
Kylie Jenner’s plump pout caused a stir on social media, but instead of asking if those bee-stung lips—a trademark of beauties like Scarlett Johansson and Angelina Jolie—are real or faux, we just want to know how to get them. Here, four steps to a more voluptuous mouth from makeup artist Vincent Oquendo: Amp up your […]Read More >>
DIY decor projects. With our easy DIY projects, see how to make a window shade, fix up furniture, reinvent accessories, and get more decorating ideas for your home.Read More >>
Rihanna, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Alessandra Ambrosio keep it sultry and simple for AmfAR. Before hitting the AmfAR gala last night in L.A., Gwyneth Paltrow posted a pic to Instagram (with a caption that read, “I don’t pop [pills] I rock Tom Ford”) that showed off her center-parted pony and black TF tux that boasted a […]Read More >>
Final Laps: Blaney holds off Quiroga
The Brits know how to draw a crowd…even in New York City. One way to catch everyone’s attention amid the hustle and bustle is to stage the party of the season at one of Manhattan’s busiest transit centers: Grand Central. Add Cara Delevingne and Beyoncé to your guest list and you’ve got yourself a celebration […]Read More >>